On behalf of the entire Essendon family, the club would like to wish Barry Capuano a very happy 80th birthday.
As a premiership player, administrator, loyal servant and volunteer, Barry has dedicated more than 62 years of service to the club, which is recognised by his status as a life member and member of the Essendon Hall of Fame.
In his current role as President of the Essendon Football Club Past Players & Officials Association, ‘Cappy’ continues to work tirelessly in supporting past players and assisting the club to protect the heritage and culture of the Bombers’ 150 year history.
Essendon Legend Kevin Sheedy acknowledged Barry on behalf of the red and black for reaching a milestone birthday.
“On behalf of everyone in the Essendon family, we extend our warm wishes to Barry on his birthday and hope for him a very happy and healthy year ahead,” Sheedy said.
“Barry has been a key part of the fabric of our club from his arrival in 1958 at Windy Hill, and ever since, his contribution has been significant as a player, administrator and servant in a variety of roles.
“People like Barry are crucial to our club retaining and honouring our long and proud history. He has been and continues to be a tremendous servant of our football club.
“We hope Barry has a wonderful day celebrating a key milestone birthday, surrounded by his loved ones and maybe even with a red and black themed cake!”
Barry Capuano career highlights
- Career span: 1959-1966 - 118 games, 16 goals
- Finals appearances: seven
- EFC guernsey numbers: No. 47 (1957-59) & No.12 (1960-66)
- EFC player No.709
- EFC debut: Round 12, 1959 v Carlton at Windy Hill. Aged 18 years, 234 days
- 1959 Grand Final team member v Melbourne. Essendon 11 12 (78) v Melbourne 17 13 (115)
- 1962 premiership player. Essendon 13 12 (90) v Carlton 8 10 (58)
- 1963 Victorian state of origin representative
- Last game: Round 12, 1966 v Geelong at Kardinia Park
Committee member and administrator roles
- 1974-1976: Essendon Football Club, committee member
- 1981-1988: Essendon Football Club, general manager
- 2000: EFC PP&OA committee member
- 2001 - 2009: EFC PP&OA secretary
- 2010 - current: EFC PP&OA President
- 1975 - Admitted as a life member of the Essendon Football Club
- 2009 - Awarded life membership of the EFC PP&OA
- 2014 - Inducted into the Essendon Hall of Fame