Essendon FC is committed to ensuring that high standards of corporate governance and risk management are maintained throughout the club.
This commitment is fundamental to the club’s purpose of Making our People Proud.
Elements of the club’s governance framework include:
- An employee code of conduct and club values framework emphasising the importance of ethical and responsible decision-making and the promotion of safety and wellbeing;
- An executive structure aligned to strategic priorities with clear, single lines of accountability
- Enhanced risk management and policy and procedure frameworks, including clear delegations and strong medical, recruitment and procurement policies, procedures and practices;
- Regular and structured reporting to the Board across all key areas of the business;
- Annual staff training in safety, bullying, harassment and diversity;
- Clear job descriptions for all staff which include accountabilities for wellbeing, governance and compliance.
- Annual performance plans and reviews for all staff to drive a strong culture of accountability and feedback;
- A designated club integrity officer and other internal integrity reporting channels (including anonymous channels) that are promoted to staff and players, along with a whistleblower policy and procedure;
- An audit, risk and integrity committee with oversight of integrity and risk and the inclusion of player, medical, football staff and AFL representatives; and
- Monitoring of attitudes to governance, risk and compliance through staff surveys.